Nowadays, most individuals have heard concerning the pure goodness of coconut oil. However up till a number of years in the past, I by no means realized I may use coconut oil for dogs, significantly that I may use coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin. Certain, I knew loads concerning the well being benefits of merchandise resembling safflower and olive oils. However then coconut oil entered my life in a massively useful method, because of our rescue pup Maizy.
Utilizing coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin — one success story
Resulting from her hound heritage, Maizy is what I prefer to name a serial sniffer. She dissects the canine parks each spring, following the scents of squirrels, rabbits, different canines, and who is aware of what else. Typically, she will get so enthralled with this exercise that she barely responds to her personal title.
In the future, Maizy’s investigations led her straight into an overgrown thicket of weeds and wildflowers … and that led to an angry-looking rash alongside her ears and neck. The treatment used to deal with her pores and skin left it overly dry, and I suppose overly itchy as properly. As a result of she scratched, and scratched, and scratched. After a number of sleep-deprived weeks of this prickly, pervasive downside — and after attempting a sequence of medicated ointments and shampoos, to no avail — we lastly visited a holistic vet.
Associated: The Benefits of Cinnamon For Dogs
His suggestion for utilizing coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin shocked me. Deal with this challenge from the within out, he mentioned. That meant easing up on carbs and grains to reduce the yeast on Maizy’s pores and skin. It additionally meant feeding her a serving of pure, virgin coconut oil each single day, and rubbing some onto her pores and skin and fur. We tried this for a number of weeks, and WOW. Not solely did Maizy lose that yeasty, bag-o-Fritos “doggie” smell, her pores and skin cleared up and her coat appeared glossier than ever. After all, the second our different rescue pup, Grant, smelled the coconut oil, he needed in on the motion. So now they each reap coconut oil’s tasty advantages regularly.
Why coconut oil for canines? And why coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin?
So, what are the advantages of coconut oil for canines, and coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin? Based on integrative pet care professional Dr. Karen Becker, pure virgin coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiprotozoal properties. Meaning it may well cut back yeast and fungus on contact, each in and out; and it’s additionally very therapeutic for irritated pores and skin, hot spots, abrasions and cracked paws. The “virgin” selection sometimes begins with contemporary coconut meat, so it’s not subjected to chemical processes resembling bleaching or filtering. This makes it secure for canines, cats, and people to ingest in acceptable quantities.
My vet cited Dr. Becker’s work, explaining that coconut oil is wealthy in a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) referred to as lauric acid. This substance is mostly discovered within the milk of mom mammals, and one in all its major capabilities is to spice up the immune system. That’s why coconut oil is so efficient at serving to to clear up bacterial and viral infections. Like pumpkin, it may well additionally soothe digestion and upset stomachs. And simply because the vet predicted, it’s given each my canines super-soft fur.
Methods to use coconut oil for a canine’s itchy pores and skin — and different illnesses
It’s at all times sensible to begin small when feeding your pup something new — particularly coconut oil, which my very own canines would gobble up with out correct supervision. At my home, we started with about 1/4 teaspoon and elevated step by step to 1/2 teaspoon per canine, a couple of times per day.
You can even:
- Drizzle a bit over your pup’s meals, as a result of coconut oil liquefies simply at room temperature.
- Mould a small blob round capsules or tablets your pet may be in any other case tempted to refuse.
- Rub a little bit between your palms, run it over your pet’s fur, and brush flippantly. Work the remaining into your personal arms for severe skin-softening advantages.
Nutty Nuggets* — a deal with that includes coconut oil for canines
And right here’s a straightforward recipe for a no-bake deal with that’s an enormous hit with Grant and Maizy as a result of, naturally, it accommodates … coconut oil. You possibly can refrigerate these yummy bites or freeze them and thaw as wanted. They’re even secure for pet dad and mom to pattern. Ummm … not like I’d know something about that.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons natural pumpkin or applesauce
- 2 to 2 3/4 cups oat, spelt, or quinoa flour
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sprint of cinnamon
- Powdered peanut butter (optionally available)
- Place coconut oil, peanut butter, pumpkin/applesauce, honey, vanilla and cinnamon into a big bowl. Stir till well-combined.
- Start including flour about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring properly after every addition. Hold including till dough combination is well-combined and pliable. If the combination turns into too stiff to work with, add a little bit extra pumpkin or applesauce.
- Spoon up the combination in parts which are roughly the scale of mini-meatballs. Form these right into a spherical or rectangular items by rolling between your palms.
- If desired, end by rolling each bit in dry, powdered peanut butter to coat.
- Prepare completed treats on a plate or pan lined with wax paper.
- Refrigerate for at the least one full hour earlier than serving.
*A phrase of warning: At all times examine together with your vet earlier than feeding your pooch something new. That is very true in case your canine already struggles with well being points resembling kidney issues or pancreatitis. Whereas pure and wholesome, these Nutty Nuggets are excessive in fats and needs to be given as very occasional treats. They aren’t meant to exchange your pet’s common weight loss program.
Thumbnail: Images Placebo365/ Getty Pictures.
This piece was initially revealed in 2015.