It’s summer time, the temperature is rising, and your canine seems like he may do with a bit one thing to assist cool him down. What could possibly be higher than a refreshing slice of watermelon? However can canines eat watermelon? The easy reply is sure! This tasty deal with is likely one of the many fruits that’s thought of protected for canines moderately.
Well being advantages of watermelon
Watermelon is 90% water, which makes it so refreshing, however that doesn’t imply that it doesn’t have further well being advantages. It’s additionally packed stuffed with nutritional vitamins A, B6, and C, and watermelon comprises each potassium and magnesium, which all contribute to and help a wholesome immune system.
Regardless of its comparatively excessive sugar content material, it’s nonetheless thought of a wholesome snack because it’s low in energy and comprises a superb quantity of digestive-friendly fiber content material.
Watermelon is the last word summer time deal with to feed your canine that can hold them each hydrated and entertained on the identical time.
How a lot watermelon can a canine eat?
For those who’ve by no means given your canine watermelon earlier than, then train warning. Though it’s protected to present your canine watermelon, it’s greatest to take action moderately. Identical to us, canines can react in a different way to new meals, so it’s all the time a good suggestion to supply your canine a small quantity at first to keep away from any doable abdomen upsets.
At all times be sure to wash the fruit completely earlier than giving it to your canine, and if he doesn’t appear that eager, then you may all the time attempt including mashed fruit to his traditional dinner or attempt one of many frozen watermelon deal with recipes under.
It’s additionally price remembering that regardless of watermelon being 90 % water, it does include pure sugar, which suggests it’s not calorie-free so it’s necessary to regulate your canine’s general meals consumption to permit for the additional energy.
Despite the fact that the flesh of watermelon is mostly thought of a wholesome snack in your canine, it’s a good suggestion to keep away from giving your canine the rind or seeds.
Seeds or pips
Not all seeds trigger an issue. Watermelon seeds aren’t poisonous in the identical method as apple seeds, apricot pits, nectarine pits, plum pits, cherry pits, and peach pits are, however there’s a probability that they may upset your canine and, even worse, probably trigger a blockage of their intestinal tract. That is particularly necessary for small canines attributable to their relative measurement. Take away the seeds and you’ve got a protected fruit in your canine.
It might be tempting to let your canine have a chew on the rind, however the rind shouldn’t be good in your canine. Not solely can it trigger critical abdomen upsets, which might be disagreeable and uncomfortable for each you and your canine, however there’s a hazard that enormous, unchewed items may trigger an intestinal blockage which might lead to an emergency go to to the vet.
Can canines eat watermelon?
Sure! If you wish to feed your canine watermelon on a sizzling day, then a small piece of watermelon may just do the job. If you wish to go a step additional, why not make these wholesome treats as a particular snack.
Makes 30 treats
- 2 cups seedless watermelon (pureed)
- 1 cup coconut water or milk
- 1 tablespoon honey (non-obligatory)
- Scoop out watermelon – it should be seedless. Take away seeds, if any, however save your self the difficulty and purchase a seedless watermelon. Add to blender and puree till clean.
- Add coconut water/milk (I used milk with the treats pictured right here) and honey to a blender and pureed watermelon. Mix effectively.
- Pour into ice dice trays and canopy with plastic wrap or bag to keep away from spillage. For those who’re utilizing exhausting plastic ice dice trays, you’re protected from most spillage. However in the event you’re like me and used silicone bone molds, you’ll want one thing flat to put them on. For those who don’t, you’re a sticky mess in your flooring and freezer. Earlier than you pour, put the silicone mould on one thing flat you can transfer to your freezer, like a slicing tray or a chunk of cardboard. As a substitute of lifting and putting simply the versatile silicone mould, you may choose up the steady floor space as an alternative.
- Freeze in a single day.
- To take away from the tray, let sit on the counter for a couple of minutes to loosen the frozen deal with Twist tray to take away the deal with from the mould.
If you wish to cram much more fruit in, then do this one
- Chunks of Watermelon (small bowl ~15pieces)
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tsp of Honey
- Combine all of the substances in a blender.
- Pour into an ice dice tray or mould.
- Freeze it for about 2 hours