The dog is a curious animal and unfortunately it can happen that it ingests a product not intended for its consumption and whose consequences can be complicated.How to react and what are the most common causes of intoxication? We talk about this topic in more detail in this article.
BE CAREFUL WITH WHAT YOUR DOG CAN SWALLOW
A dog, whether it is a puppy or an adult, can put in its mouth many non-consumable elements that can be very dangerous for its health.
These products are easily swallowed by dogs because they are, in principle, easily accessible and placed on the ground. The dog just has to help himself without knowing that it is dangerous for his health. In high doses, it can cause convulsions, muscle tremors, and even paralysis of the dog. Rat poison also has anticoagulant effects and can cause internal bleeding and anemia (pale mucous membranes in the gums).
POISONING IN DOGS
Human medications are products that are easily and frequently ingested by dogs because of their small size and candy-like appearance for some. In large quantities, it can be dangerous for your dog and create convulsions, vomiting, and even toxic shock.
Plants. Some plants can be toxic for the dog as the oleander, the chrysanthemums, the boxwood, the acacia for the most common ones that we find at home. Outdoors, the best known are wolfsbane, lily of the valley, ivy, mistletoe, oak acorns and yew. Symptoms may vary depending on the plant, but overall, your dog may vomit, drool excessively suddenly, go into convulsions, have an accelerated heart rate and may even lose consciousness in some cases.
Chocolate: This seemingly harmless food is one of the most common causes of poisoning. The lethal dose is about 2 grams per kg for dark chocolate. Theobromine is the toxic substance for dogs contained in chocolate. White or milk chocolate are less risky in this respect, but are sweeter and therefore also risky. Symptoms can be convulsions, diarrhea, general agitation, and in more serious cases, muscle rigidity, heart rhythm disorders, and coma of the dog.
Human drugs, even if taken involuntarily, can cause a dog to have very bad reactions such as tremors, staggering, convulsions, or hypothermia.
Heavy metals: paint, contaminated water, etc. We all have a mercury thermometer, batteries or paint in our home. These products can be very risky for the dog because they contain what is called heavy metals, and this can cause vomiting, convulsions, and neurological consequences can also appear quickly.
Processionary caterpillars, toads, etc. These little beasts are the big fear of dog owners, because they can have disastrous consequences on the dog in a short time after simple physical or oral contact: necrosis of the tongue, inflammation and swelling in the area that has been in contact with the venomous animal, excessive salivation, eye problems if it reaches the eyes of the dog, an acceleration of the heart rate, etc.
POISONING IN DOGS
HOW TO REACT IF MY DOG IS POISONED?
In spite of the difference between these different products, you could notice that the symptoms are often the same. If you have the slightest doubt about your dog’s behavior, which does not seem usual, do not wait.
If your dog has ingested one of these products, do not try to make him vomit in an attempt to relieve him, as this could have the opposite effect and have serious consequences on his esophagus. Do not try to make your dog drink until you have received advice from an animal health professional.
The first thing to do is to clear the area or place where your dog is located to avoid any further temptation. Once safety is established, immediately call your veterinarian or a poison control center and explain the situation as calmly as possible so that they can give you emergency advice and possibly get the dog to a clinic for prompt treatment.
POISONING IN DOGS
In order to be preventive in the future, we advise you to put away toxic and risky products so that your dog can no longer have access to them. Dogs, a bit like children, do not know that certain objects or foods are not recommended for their health and it is therefore our role to make sure that they do not have access to them for their safety.