Business pet meals was invented with comfort and revenue in thoughts, not the well being of canine and cats. Fortunately, the more moderen motion again to recent, uncooked meals is gaining floor.
Strolling by means of the pet meals aisles, you’ll see fairly a number of dry and canned meals in your canine or cat. Most advertisers would have you ever imagine that that is how your animal is supposed to be fed, and we’re typically advised that uncooked and recent diets are a brand new fad. Apparently, this isn’t fairly the case.
Actually, the historical past of recent and uncooked pet diets dates all the best way again to the preliminary domestication of cats and canine 16,000 years in the past, whereas the historical past of kibble dates again to solely 1956.
Right here’s a quick timeline of economic pet meals:
- Earlier than the Nineteen Twenties: Most canine and cats had been fed recent “human” food within the type of desk scraps and even freshly-prepared meals. As early as 2000 BCE, we’ve got recipes for uncooked meals for canine, consisting of recent meat, bones, barley, and milk.
- Nineteen Twenties: The primary technology of canned pet meals hit the market. Ken-L-Ration, profiting from the low value of horse meat, developed the primary canned pet food and kicked off the trade we nonetheless see at this time.
- Nineteen Forties: Throughout WWII, meat and aluminum had been each rationed, however the demand for handy pet meals remained excessive. Attracted by the big margins on pet meals, cereal firms started creating dry pet meals from leftover by-products and grains.
- 1956: The primary business kibble was invented, utilizing a course of referred to as “extrusion”. Nonetheless used at this time, this course of pushes dough by means of a excessive stress, excessive warmth extruder to kind kibble. Throughout this course of, the meals is sterilized, artificially preserved, and vitamins are degraded. However given how low cost it’s to supply pet meals this manner, it was embraced by most producers and promoted as probably the most handy solution to feed canine and cats.
- Right now: Whereas business pet meals stays well-liked, it’s vital to notice that the one cause they had been invented was for the comfort and revenue of producers, not for the well being and well-being of canine and cats. Now, 70 years after the invention of kibble, and with the appearance of on-line ordering, plus the introduction of diet science into pet meals formulation, we’ve come full circle. Feeding recent, uncooked pet meals, which domesticated canine and cats have eaten for hundreds of years, is now practically as handy as kibble and canned meals.
The submit The unlikely history of commercial pet food appeared first on Animal Wellness Magazine.